RationalFX is an FCA-authorised international money transfer service provider offering both personal and business funds transfer solutions to 180,000+ registered clients. Since its incorporation in 2005, RationalFX has transferred more than $10 billion in 51+ global currencies.
The company boasts of a team of 100+ dedicated currency specialists and an intuitive money transfer platform. Compared to traditional banks, RationalFX is faster and cheaper. With that said, when sending money through RationalFX, you have to contend with the fact that only bank transfers as a payout option are available.
RationalFX has a boatload of features designed to make your transfers as smooth as possible. Read along for detailed coverage of what makes this provider a force to reckon with.
RationalFX exchange rates and costs
The RationalFX business model has fees and exchange rate margins as sources of revenue. However, the fees charged are minimal and the exchange rate margin is small as well.
Making international payments through RationalFX is affordable. The transfer fees are comparably low at £4 for transfers under £4000 or its equivalent in the currency you are transferring from. If you use the Regular Payment service this transfer fee is waived.
RationalFX has a currency converter widget on its homepage that you can use to get a free quote for your currency pair. When transferring small values of about £1,000, the exchange rate margin RationalFX charges is 1.42%. For large transfers of about £100,000 the margin drops to 1.03%. Compared to banks that charge up to 5%, RationalFX gives you bank-beating deals.
You may be charged landing fees by the receiving bank and payment fees by the credit card company or payment method you choose. RationalFX doesn’t factor in these fees when calculating the cost of a transfer.
Top countries to send to with RationalFX
RationalFX pros and cons
RationalFX is in business to ensure its customers get the best transfer deals in terms of exchange rates and transfer fees. It is one of the few companies out there that have transformed international money transfers into complete solutions. Below are some of the advantages of RationalFX.
- Zero Fees on Regular Transfers - If you are making regular payments on such expenses as utility bills, mortgage repayments or school fees, RationalFX charges you $0 fees.
- Consistently Better Rates - Compared to banks that charge margins of up to 5%, RationalFX has much better rates, giving you more of the destination currency per unit of the host currency.
- Expert Account Managers - RationalFX has a team of currency experts who can help you decide when to do your transfer and how to lock in the best rate.
- Transfer options - RationalFX doesn’t just give you the opportunity to transfer money to your family and business associates, they give you options. You can use limit orders, forward contracts, regular payment services and so forth.
- Daily Market Report - RationalFX customers and subscribers have the benefit of receiving a daily market report. This report analyses the performance of different global markets and gives a preview of the impact these performances have on currency movements.
- Minimum Transfer Amount - The minimum amount you can transfer on RationalFX is £100. Senders making small transfers to family and friends may feel excluded by this limit.
- No Cash Pickups - RationalFX only supports bank transfers. There is no option for cash pickup. When sending money to people in remote areas with no access to formal banking services, RationalFX may not be the appropriate channel.
RationalFX transfer types
RationalFX has structured its product offering to include both personal and business transfer solutions.
These transfers are targeted at individuals who want to send money or receive money from abroad. The solutions are tied around needs such as buying a home abroad, emigrating, importing valuable goods, tuition fees, mortgage repayments, and overseas rent.
Businesses involved in international trade need a suite of solutions that give them control over their international payments. RationalFX is at the forefront in ensuring that businesses plan effectively and put in place tighter controls over their finances. The solutions offered, enable businesses to make bulk payments and do international payroll.
To ensure both business and personal transfers are done efficiently, RationalFX has further structured its foreign exchange options into the following products:
- Regular Payments -This solution is for people making transfers abroad. RationalFX does not charge any fees for such transfers.
- Spot Contract -This solution is targeted at people and businesses making realtime transfers or those making transfers within two business days
- Forward Contract -This contract enables you to fix a rate today and transfer at some point in the future. It helps businesses and individuals to hedge against exchange rate fluctuations.
- Limit Order -This product allows businesses and individuals to target a specific exchange rate for their currency pair. If the rate is reached, the transfer is executed.
- Stop Loss -This foreign exchange option allows you to set a worst-case scenario rate. If the rate falls below this scenario rate, the transfer triggers to prevent a further fall.
- Hedging Strategy -This strategy helps businesses guard against unfavourable market conditions. RationalFX has dedicated currency specialists who advise businesses on the best solutions in light of their risk combination.
All transfers are credited into the recipient's bank account. RationalFX doesn't have a cash pickup solution.
RationalFX money transfer speed
There are two main factors in determining the length of time it takes for an international money transfer to reach the recipient. The first part is the time it takes for funds from the sender's payment solution to the provider. The second leg is the time it takes from the provider to the recipient bank.
RatonalFX accepts bank transfers and payments via debit card and credit card. Funds paid through debit and credit card are received at RationalFX faster than bank transfers. From RationalFX, it only takes 24 hours for the funds to get to the recipient.
Due to timezone differences, currency pairs, and regulations by the receiving bank, transfers may take longer to clear. On average most currencies take between 1 and 2 days for the funds to be credited into the designated bank account.
RationalFX payment methods
When paying for your transfer on RationalFX, there are three main payment options you can choose from.
- Bank transfers
- Credit card
- Debit card
Credit and debit card payments cost a little more but your funds get to the recipient faster. Bank transfers require that you have a bank account and can be quite slow.
Best ways to use RationalFX
Depending on whether you are making personal transfers or business transfers, RationalFX can offer several payment solutions.
If you are transferring money at an individual level, you can opt for RationalFX for the following use cases.
- Buying a home abroad
- Emigrating-RationalFX can help you convert your cash at competitive exchange rates
- Importing valuable goods
- Education Fees
- Mortgage Repayments
- Overseas Rent -You can convert your overseas rent income at rates guaranteed by Rational FX
As a business involved in international trade, you take control of your payments to overseas suppliers through RationalFX. The following are some of the ways you can use RationalFX for your business.
- Paying overseas suppliers
- Receiving payment from international customers
- Paying overseas contractors and freelancers
- Making recurring payments
Can I trust RationalFX?
RationalFX is a private limited company incorporated on 8 March 2005 in the United Kingdom as Rational Foreign Exchange Limited, company number 05385999. The registered office for the company is Floor 32, One Canada Square, London, United Kingdom, E14 5AB. The company’s directors are Rajesh Agrawal, Paresh Davdra, Chris Humphrey, Derek Louis Playford, and James Joseph Warner.
In the UK, RationalFX has the authority of the Financial Conduct Authority to provide payment services under FSA Registration Number (FRN) 507958. The regulations governing the operations of RationalFX are contained in the Payment Services Regulation 2017.
Under HM Revenue & Customs Rational Foreign Exchange Ltd, RationalFX is registered as a Money Service Business (MSB No. 12206957). Its services are regulated by the Money Laundering Regulations 2017.
The company revenue as per the 2018 financial statements of RationalFX stood at 10 million pounds. Out of this 77% came from corporate services while 23% is attributed to private services. At the close of 2018, the company had a total of 82 employees including executive directors. The company accounts are audited by Nexia Smith & Williamson.
In the industry, RationalFX has joined professional associations such as the Association of International Property Professionals (AIPP), UK Money Transmitters Association (UKMTA), and London Chamber of Commerce both in the UK and Hong Kong.
RationalFX segregates client funds as part of regulatory requirements and puts them in a safeguarding account at Barclays Bank PLC. The separation of funds ensures that in the event of insolvency, client resources are protected.
Client data in the custody of RationalFX is protected under the Data Protection Act 2018. All interactions on the RationalFX online platform are secured with bank-level solutions including SSL for web site information protection.
RationalFX user feedback
Looking at Trustpilot where RationalFX has a total of 973 reviews, 88% of the customers rated the company either as ‘Excellent’ or ‘Great’. The features that the customers praised the most are:
- Excellent Rates -The margins RationalFX charges are low hence high rates for transfers
- Customer Service- RationalFX has expert customer support in both business and individual transfers
- Low transfer charges compared to banks
- An Intuitive website and an easy-to-use app
Some of the customers who weren’t as pleased with Rational FX cited account suspensions and occasional transfer delays as their reasons for rating the company either as ‘Bad’ or ‘Poor’.
Getting started with RationalFX
Signing up and sending money on RationalFX is simple and fast. In a few steps, you can create an account, key in the recipient details, pay for your transfer and send!
Step 1- On the RationalFX website, click on sign up, input your email, password and select the account type. You can sign up for different types of business accounts. There are private limited company, sole trader, public limited company, partnership, trust, charity, money service business, limited liability partnership, and limited liability company.
Step 2- Provide your details which include name, date of birth, mobile phone contact, and address. These details will be used to confirm your identity.
Step 3-Details Review- Once the details have been captured, you’ll be prompted to verify your account. The proof of identity can be your passport, a photocard driving licence, national ID card or EEA / EU national resident permit. For the proof of address, you can use a bank statement or utility bill.
Step 4 -Add the recipient details including the amount to send. The details are reviewed before moving on to the next step.
Step 5- Payment and confirmation-If all details are correct, RationalFX will ask that you pay for your transfer and send.
Step 6- Once the transfer is on its way to the recipient, you can track it online.
Does RationalFX have a mobile app?
RationalFX doesn't have a mobile app. All transfers are done through the website.
Can I cancel my RationalFX transfer?
In case of a cancellation request, you need to get in touch with the customer support team through email or phone.
No user reviews have been submitted.