Payoneer has established itself as an online money transfer service provider for businesses and freelancers. Businesses making payments to contractors and vendors, receiving payments from customers or looking to convert currencies, Payoneer is one of the go-to solutions. Freelancers can receive payments directly into their Payoneer accounts from online marketplaces and networks such as Airbnb, Upwork, Cdiscount, Fiverr, CJ Affiliate, Wish, Getty Images, HomeAway, Rakuten, Lazada, and Tradedoubler AB. With Payoneer, you are guaranteed of low transfer fees, payments in minutes, and the flexibility of accessing cash either at ATMs or local bank accounts.
Globally, Payoneer serves 200+ countries in over 150 currencies. The minimum you can withdraw is $20 and the fee charged per withdrawal is $3. This means that when withdrawing amounts as large as $1,000, the $3 will be insignificant.
When getting funds from an ATM using a Payoneer card, you don’t get a chance to see the balance on the screen. This creates a lot of guesswork when accessing funds in currencies other than USD, EUR, GBP, CAD, AUD, JPY and CNH.
Payoneer Exchange Rates and Fees
Payoneer charges its customers fees when getting paid by the different businesses to their Payoneer accounts. Thereafter, withdrawal from local ATMs also come at a fee. Below is a synopsis of the fees, exchange rates and other costs you may incur when using Payoneer.
Payoneer's fee structure comprises several components depending on the type of transaction you are doing. The fees are categorised as follows:
- It is free when you get paid by other Payoneer customers in USD, EUR, GBP, and JPY.
- The other way of getting paid is through Payoneer’s receiving accounts. Normally. Payoneer gives you the privilege of owning local bank accounts denominated in EUR, GBP, JPY, AUD, CAD and MXN. If someone pays you through a receiving account in these currencies, you don’t get charged any fees. However, if they pay you through your receiving account is USD, you’ll be charged 0-1% in fees.
- Payoneer has a billing service you can use to request payment directly from your customers. This service comes at a 3% fee if payment is done by credit card and 1% if it is settled by eCheck.
- Fees for receiving money from marketplaces and networks such as Upwork, Airbnb, and CJ Affiliate vary from one platform to another. You need to independently confirm what they charge. Upwork charges a loading fee of $2 per withdrawal to Payoneer.
Withdrawing Funds to a Bank Account
- Most withdrawals to a local bank account do not attract any fees. For instance, withdrawals from Payoneer to KCB Bank or Equity Bank in Kenya are free.
- If you withdraw to a bank account denominated in USD, EUR, or GBP, you’ll pay $1.50, €1.50, or £1.50 respectively. However, for this to apply, the bank account must be located in the same country where these currencies are classified as local currencies.
If you withdraw from an ATM using the Payoneer Mastercard. You will be charged $3 per transaction. If you cancel a transaction, you’ll be charged $1.
The exchange rate Payoneer charges for Payoneer to bank withdrawals is 2% above the mid-market rate. Normally, the provider doesn’t show the mid-market rate and the 2% breakdown on the transfer but the rate they give you includes the 2% margin.
Depending on the bank and country from which you access your money, you may be charged landing fees, processing fees or even intermediary fees. Also, Payoneer doesn't make it clear how much you are charged when you query an account balance through the ATM.
Compared to banks, Payoneer gives much better rates and the time taken to withdraw to a bank is also shorter. It takes one business day maximum for funds to be credited to your account.
Top destinations for Payoneer transfers
It takes one business day to send money from your Payoneer account to the bank. Occasional delays may occur when the transfer involves correspondent banks. All the remittance corridors are supported by a strong and knowledgeable team of 1,200 employees.
Pros and Cons of using Payoneer
Payoneer processes all payments online and has no physical locations or agents. It has clear advantages over other money transfer providers in a number of ways.
- Low Minimum amount - With a little as $20, you can transact on Payoneer
- Location coverage - An extensive sending and disbursing network coverage covering 200+ countries and territories
- Low fees and favourable rates - Depending on the type of transaction, you may not even pay a single cent. If you withdraw directly to the bank, you will enjoy high exchange rates of just 2% above the mid-market rate.
- Convenient payout methods – You can send directly to your local bank or withdraw from an ATM. This ensures you get your money not just fast but conveniently.
- Multi-lingual support – The website supports eight languages. This makes it possible for users from non-English speaking countries to interact with the website. The languages are English, Spanish, Vietnamese, Japanese, Arabic, Korean, Russian, Ukranian, and Chinese.
- Payment service limitations - For you to make a payment from your Payoneer account, you must have received funds from either one of the payment partners or through Payoneer’s Global Payment Service.
- Limited International transfers - If the transfer is not a purchasing or invoicing for a service you cannot transfer to another entity.
- Annual fee - Payoneer charges an annual fee of $29.95 which is a bit high bearing in mind that the provider also charges fees and margins on exchange rates.
Types of transfers offered by Payoneer
Payoneer allows for bank transfers and ATM withdrawals through the Payoneer Mastercard. For you to withdraw to your local bank, you have to first add the bank as the payment method. Payoneer normally indicates that it takes up to 3 business days to review the added payment method but typically approvals take about 30 minutes.
For the ATM withdrawal, you must have the Payoneer Mastercard. You can still use the account without the card. Ordering the card is free and it may take about 3 weeks to be delivered.
Payoneer transfer times explained
Payments to your Payoneer account from online marketplaces such Upwork are instant. When a client pays you through Payoneer, the payment may be placed under review for up to 5 days. However, in most cases, the review takes a few hours and the payment checks into your Payoneer account.
The client may be asked by Payoneer to provide additional information for the payment to be processed. If he doesn’t act on his part, the payment may delay getting to you. You can also query a payment through the support centre or by contacting your client directly.
Payment methods offered by Payoneer
When sending money with Payoneer, you can use the following payment methods to pay for your transfer:
- Credit card
- Debit card
- Local bank transfer
Top reasons to use Payoneer
Payoneer is one of the preferred payment and money transfer provider for businesses and freelance professionals.
- Receive payment in a local currency account such as USD, GBP and EUR
- Pay your VAT
- Pay suppliers
- Pay your contractors or freelancers
- Move your earnings to your home country through local bank withdrawals
- Receive payment from online market places and networks
- Shop on online market places
Payoneer’s Capital Advance can help you manage your working capital when selling on Wallmart and Amazon. The loan is advanced to you based on your store sales record. Repayment is gradual until the loan is fully settled.
Can I trust Payoneer?
Payoneer was founded in 2005 in New York City. The founders, Yuval Tal and Ben Yaniv Chechik, injected $2 million of seed funding. To date, the company has raised over $265 million from a spectrum of investors. Some of the notable financiers include Greylock Partners, Wellington Management, 83North, Crossbar Capital, Technology Crossover Ventures, Viola Ventures, Susquehanna Growth Equity and Carmel Ventures.
The company has grown rapidly employing over 1,200 employees spread across its 17 regional offices in the United States, United Kingdom, Latin America and Asia. Recent valuations put the company at $1 billion.
In terms of authorization and regulation, Payoneer has licences covering the following jurisdictions.
Payoneer Inc. - This company is registered by the US’s Financial Crimes Enforcement Network (FinCEN) as a Money Services Business (MSB). Its licence as a Money Transmitter allows it to operate in 49 US states.
Payoneer (EU) Limited - This company was formed in Gibraltar in 2011 and it is 100% owned by Payoneer Inc. The Financial Services Commission in the country licenced the company giving it the legal space to passport throughout the EEA.
Payoneer Hong Kong Limited - This company is 100% owned by Payoneer Inc. and licensed by the Hong Kong Customs and Excise Department to do business as a Money Service Operator (MSO).
Payoneer Japan Limited - Owned 100% by Payoneer Inc., this company was formed in 2014 and registered with Kanto Finance Bureau as a Funds Transfer Service Provider.
Payoneer Canada Limited - This company is registered with the Financial Transactions and Reports Analysis Center of Canada (FinTRAC). It operates as a Registered Money Service Business.
Payoneer Australia Pty Limited - This company is 100% owned by Payoneer Hong Kong Limited and is licenced by the Australian Securities & Investment Commission (ASIC).
The regulations and licencing ensure that the company safeguards clients funds and information. In 2010, Payoneer attained PCI Level 1 Compliance, an important set of standards for online safety for its more than 4 million customers.
User opinion about Payoneer
On Trustpilot, Payoneer has received excellent ratings. It has a total of 12,352 reviews, 90% of which fall within the ‘Excellent’ and ‘Great’ rating bands.
The customers who were pleased with Payoneer gave the following reasons
- Excellent customer service
- Faster funds transfers
- High exchange rates
Customers who rated the company as ‘Poor’ or ‘Bad’ had the following to say.
- Account blocking if verification is not complete
- Occasional delays in transfers from clients and to bank accounts
Send and receive money with Payoneer
It is so simple to get started on Payoneer. Over time they have changed their requirements but it still remains an easy 5-10 minutes exercise.
How to Send Money Using Payoneer?
Step 1: Sign up for an account- If you have all the information they need including a double-sided copy of your ID card, it takes about 10 minutes to complete the process.
Step 2: Identity Verification- This process takes about 20 minutes and when the account is approved, you can now transact.
Step 3: Link your local bank account.
Step 4: Add a market place or contractor details
Step5: Pay for your transfer and send. You can load your card through bank transfer, credit card or debit card and make a payment.
How to Receive Money Using Payoneer?
There is no procedure for receiving money on Payoneer or local bank account. Once you request payment from a client or withdraw money from an online market place, you only have to wait until it checks in. You can then transfer it to your local bank account or use the Payoneer balance for transactions.
Does Payoneer Have a Mobile App?
Payoneer has a mobile app available as a free download on both Google Play and Apple Store. Through the application, you can do the following.
- Sign up for a Payoneer account
- View the balances of all currency accounts on the app from USD to GBP to EUR to any other that you may have.
- View all transactions both receipts and withdrawals
- Make a payment
- Withdraw your funds
- Request a payment
- Manage currencies
You can also refer a friend through the app, contact customer support and read through the frequently asked questions. On Google Play, the app has 14,031 reviews with an overall 4.1/5 rating. The app has no country or regional restrictions.
Can I Cancel my Transfer?
If you want to cancel a transfer, get in touch with the customer support team with the following details:
- The date of the transaction
- The transaction amount
- The transaction reference number
- The reason you want to cancel the transaction
Note that, transactions that are already processed cannot be cancelled. Always check and confirm before you transact.